Mascherano: "We reacted well after Sevilla's goal"





Mascherano paired up with Gerard Piqué in the centre of the defence and, despite conceding a goal, the team claimed the three points against Sevilla 

The Argentinian admitted that “the best thing about the game was our capacity to react” 

Alves said “Sevilla forced us to work hard to win the three points"





Javier Mascherano talked to the awaiting journalists in the press area after 2-1 victory over Sevilla this evening. The fullback said,“the best thing about the game was our capacity to react” after Botía’s goal in the first half. He added: “conceding goals is something we know we have to improve. They scored on us with their first attempt on goal.

“We were aware that we were behind despite playing well in the first half and that we had to turn the game around in the second,” said Mascherano when asked about the mood in the Barça dressing room at the break. Goals from David Villa and Messi, however, secured the three points for Tito and Roura’s men. The Argentine also talked about the defeat this week to AC Milan. The 2-0 loss will force Barça to attempt an epic comeback at the Camp Nou in the return leg of the Champions League's round of 16. “We can’t go crazy with the result we ended with against Milan. We’re in a good situation because we depend on ourselves and we know that we can continue fighting in all three competitions,” he declared. 

Alveson form 

Dani Alves put in a great performance against his former team this evening. The Brazilian explained that “it was a strange match especially because of how cold it was, but in the end we managed to win.” When asked about Barça’s opponent this evening, Alves said, “Sevilla forced us to work hard to win the three points.”

On the team’s upcoming matches, Alves admitted that “it’s an important week, and that’s how were approaching it. These are the types of matches that we like to play.” The Brazilian was also asked about the goal his team conceded in the first half: “we have to improve in this regard, but we can concede goals if we win. This is a game and we have to remember that other teams also play.”

Here are the statements made by Tello and Montoya after the match:

Tello:

“I’m aware of my role in the team. If I play the second half, I have to take maximum advantage of the minutes I get.”

“I know that the best players in the world are ahead of me, and when I play I try to do my best.”

“The manager told me to open the pitch up, to take players on and to take my chances in front of goal.”

Montoya:

“I hand’t played for a while and I lacked rhythm, but I feel good. I have to take advantage of these opportunities.”
“We wanted to play a good game after the defeat to Milan. We conceded a goal but we reacted well in the second half.”

“The team is very eager for the return leg against Milan, we have confidence in ourselves.”

“We have to focus on the match against Madrid so we can qualify for the final.”